Friday, December 23, 2011

May the ones you LOVE be near *Part 2

Thursday afternoon was the Sous Espwa staff Christmas party, held at their church. The families of the staff were also invited so there were people of all ages there. At 11am we started the party with devotions and short introductions of ourselves. Most of the introductions were in Creole because the majority of the staff and their families speak Creole. This made for one fun Christmas party for them and one confusing Christmas party for me. I still don't understand that much Creole, a few words here and there so, needless to say I didn't understand the introductions and most of what was said during the party.

After the introductions we played lots of games. The instructions to the games were also in Creole. Sometimes Taressa translated for me, otherwise I just watched and did what everyone else was doing. The games were pretty straight forward so this wasn't too much of an issue. When the games were finished, we ate lunch. The food was a typical Haitian meal that we had catered in. We had beans and rice, potato salad (maybe not so Haitian), fried plantains, and a choice of chicken, poul, or goat, kabrit. {Side note: Whenever I hear the word kabrit I know to stay away from that meat. I had goat once, or twice...I'm not entirely sure. However, I'm pretty sure I don't like it. The meat is very fatty and I can't stand it when there is fat on my meat. The goat part doesn't bother me, just the fat part. I do like beans and rice. Sometimes the beans and rice are bland if there is no sauce for them but they're usually good.} The last part of the Christmas party was a piñata for the children. As you know, all children love candy so they enjoyed that. When the party ended around 3pm I was thankful because I was a little overwhelmed, once again, by the Creole.

Last night we attended another party at the home of the family whose kids I babysit. They have a yearly tradition of having all their friends over to watch . . . ELF!! What a great tradition- Elf is one of my favorite movies :) To top it all off we ate pizza too...Domino's pizza! Oh yes, it was a splendid night!

They duct taped a sheet to one of the walls on their patio and then borrowed a projector to play the movie.



Tonight we are attending another party and then on Sunday some families are coming over to celebrate Christmas with us!

Hebrews 10:24-25 "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

No comments:

Post a Comment