Thursday, January 12, 2012

Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty!

Today began like any other day-


I woke up, got dressed, and then went over to the house to grab a quick bite to eat for breakfast. After breakfast Taressa, Natasha, and I got into the car and Ruth drove us over to one of the schools I am now teaching at. The streets were mostly empty of people and cars and we arrived at the school right on time. 


We walked past the guard, through the black gate and into the school yard. There were children starting to gather in the school yard. They were dressed in their dark blue shirts with the school logo written in white in the upper right corner, dark blue jeans and black shoes. Even though all the schools in Haiti were closed today, along with the stores and businesses, these children came to school to take part in a prayer walk. There were a few teachers there too and about ten other Americans from a work team. The principle of the school gave some instructions to the kids then had them line up two by two. 


The principle prayed and we all filed out of the gate. He proceeded the walk, followed by the children and teachers, then the people from the work team and us. Immediately the teachers lead the children in singing and they continued singing Creole songs the whole time we walked. We walked the streets of the neighborhood, stopping occasionally for prayer and scripture reading. 


One of the first places we walked was to a nearby tent city. We walked down the narrow paths, surrounded by white, blue, and grey tents on either side then gathered in a large meeting area inside the tent community. The kids sang a few other songs. One of the girls read a Psalm and one of the teachers prayed. I looked on and listened to the children sing. Gradually children, adults, and teens from the tent city came and gathered around. A few people joined in song with the children. As we left the area and continued on, the children started up the singing again. Some of the onlookers faces displayed hopeful smiles as we passed.


At first I wasn't sure quite how to act- somber or happy? It was surreal. Many many people had lost family members and friends on this day two years ago. And the earthquake damage was still evident in the rubble that we passed. Therefore I chose to go with somber. 


Yet, each place we stopped I grew more and more hopeful. As we walked a smile broke through my somber expression. Everywhere I looked I saw people- not just people but living, breathing testimony's of God's grace! Those two little children peering out from behind the iron door. Those men shoveling white rocks on the side of the road. That old lady sitting in her white plastic chair selling fruit. These people had been through such a tragedy two years ago. Since, they have been striving to put their city back together. Yes, some of them may live in tents. Yes, some of them are still scared of another quake. Yes, Port-au-Prince is not as beautiful as it once was...


But no, its people are not defeated. These are God's people, chosen for such a time as this. The whole time we were walking, the lyrics "where the Spirit of the Lord is there is liberty" kept repeating in my head. I was suddenly aware of the fact that these people need Jesus in order to be fully liberated from their sorrows and fears. I also realized, about halfway through the walk, that the lyrics to the Creole song the children were repeatedly singing was, "Bezwen Jezi kounye a." It translates, "We need Jesus now." They sang this over and over and over again as we walked the dusty streets. How fitting! Eventually I caught on to at least that much of the song and sang it with them.  


At the last place we stopped, we stood in a large circle. The children sang some more; the last song was "Here I Am to Worship." After the kids sang it through once in Creole we sang it all together in English. Another girl read a Psalm and one of the other teachers prayed. Nearing the end of this stop, the principle spoke a few words. I didn't hear everything he said, but what I did hear made me smile. He reminded the kids that although today is a sad day of remembering those who died, it is also a day to be proud- proud of the life they have been given. Proud to live another year of the life God has blessed them with!


I decided that walking with a smile on my face was quite alright :)


2 Corinthians 3: 16-18 "But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."



2 comments:

  1. Kati, thanks for sharing your experiences! I think you did an excellent job of describing the hope and perseverance that so many of the Haitian people exhibit. They always inspire me, when I see the joy on their face despite what they've gone through. Man, I want to be back in Haiti so bad right now! I wish I could start planning another trip...
    Kristin Vanderwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well captured, girl! I like that you smiled and embraced the hope of Christ as your contemplated Haiti post quake! The Hope of Christ is infectious; sweetly infusing life! :-)

    ReplyDelete