Wednesday, February 1, 2012

You can have all this world, but give me Jesus!

Our neighbors were headed for the States; they were going to be spending a few days there. My gracious friend offered to get me anything I needed. She told me to think about what I wanted and make a list. 
I thought and thought... What did I want? I could not come up with anything.
What did I really want? There were lots of things I could think of that I really wanted. But she couldn't bring me any of the things I really want:
A girls night with my friends,
A sleepover with my cousins,
My car so that I can drive again
     deciding for myself where I want to go and when,
A nice dinner with my family,
Little Caesars pizza,
A gas station cappuccino,
The ability to call my family and friends from the U.S. on the phone
     whenever I have a great story for them,
To be able to communicate clearly without the language barrier...
...There are lots of things I really want! I could go back to the States and have all of these things and more. Then I thought- those things would be really nice but would I give up my experiences here?
Walking the dusty streets and finding myself with very dirty feet at the end of the day. I totally get why the disciples feet needed washing.
John 13: 3-5 “Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist.  After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.”
Seeing that 10 year old boy in the front row of church each Sunday, sitting by himself with his Bible and song book; he intently focuses on every scripture that is read, song that is sung, and sermon spoken from the pastor. 
Mark 10: 14-15 “When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, ‘Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.’”
Spending an hour, on Monday nights, studying the Bible with teenagers who hunger for the word of God and want so badly to understand it.
Isaiah 29: 13-14, 18 “The Lord says: ‘These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is based on merely human rules they have been taught. Therefore once more I will astound these people with wonder upon wonder; the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish.’ In that day the deaf will hear the words of the scroll, and out of gloom and darkness the eyes of the blind will see. Once more the humble will rejoice in the LORD; the needy will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.”
Sitting in my apartment sometimes and thinking, "This sure doesn't feel like home. What can I do with this space to make it feel more inviting?" I often feel so homesick- I am reminded of my true home.
John 14:2-3 “In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.”
NO, I would not give up my experiences here for what I “really” want. I can get by for anther 5 months without those material things. In June I'll be reunited with my family and friends. Then we can have dinner together and sleepovers. What I really want, is to be here, living in the moment...experiencing God.

1 comment: