Thursday, February 24, 2011

Blogging

Things I have come to realize about my life ever since I started blogging:
A) I have had less and less time to blog, as the year has progressed
B) I am very very busy now, ALL the time


Things that have occupied my life when I have not been blogging:


A) Finding the Missing Socks: I do laundry every week, usually at the end of the week. I did laundry last week Friday or Saturday and folded all my socks up and put them away. Now today, Wednesday, I didn't have any socks in the drawer. Very odd- I know I had more than 4 pairs of socks. I looked everywhere and I can't find them!


B) Designing a Wedding Program: A friend of ours asked me to design a wedding program for her daughter's wedding in May. If they like the design enough, they will use it! I was sitting in the lounge last night working on it and this girl says to me, "Doing homework?" And I'm like, "No, just designing a wedding program." She was slightly confused :)


C) Running: I run three times a week- that is all I have time for. I should be running more, but school is kind of important too. I am training for a 25K race that will take place in May. A 25K is 15.5 miles...yikes! So far my training has been going very well though; I ran 7 miles in 60 minutes last week Saturday. 


D) Finishing the Inflatable Frog: Today we had our critique for the inflatable frog that we have been working on for the past two weeks. The project was very time consuming, and we spent a lot of time out of class working on it. All in all, our frog turned out pretty great! I'll try to describe the process for you, with pictures, in a non-confusing sort of way:


1. The teacher gave us a dog toy, in our case a frog, and told us to document it very well. I took pictures of it (but, come to find out, not enough).
 2. We labeled each piece of the frog with permanent marker and wrote down on paper what the letters stood for.
3. Melissa ripped the poor frog apart with a seam ripper so that we could trace the pieces. We traced all 24 pieces on a mini 10 by 20 grid; that way we would have the shape and placement of each piece for when we drew them on the big grid.
 4. We made a 10' x 10' grid out of brown paper- we drew the grid lines on the paper with rulers and pencils. Then we placed a 10' x 20' sheet of plastic down on top of the paper and proceeded to draw the lines of each piece. We copied the exact placement and shape of the pieces from our little grid onto the big grid.
5. We cut out all the pieces from the plastic.
 6. The lines around the edges of the plastic, from where we traced each shape with a dry erase marker, had to be wiped off.
7. Once all the edges of the pieces were cleaned off we started sticking the pieces together with clear masking tape. The only minor (ok, major) problem was, we did not know which pieces to stick where! Because of my poor documentation taking pictures, I failed to capture important parts of the frog. We couldn't figure out what each piece was or where it connected to the others...so, I got out some tape, analyzed the pictures we did have and reconnected all the little pieces with tape. This took up a lot of time as well.

Eventually I saved the day and we could start connecting the pieces cause we knew where they went. 
 8. The last pieces to be attached were the eye pieces! We were all extremely happy when that was complete!
 9. Finally we cut a hole in the back leg, plugged in the fan, prayed real hard that it would properly inflate, placed the fan over the hole, and waited. (You can see the little black fan in the right leg on the picture below.)
10. After a good 6-7 minutes the creature was fully inflated! What a happy ending!
Me, Delia, and Melissa
Our class critique today- the elephant is on the far left, our frog is in the middle, and on the right is a lion. There are only seven people in our class total, so there was one group of three and two groups of two.


And that concludes my exciting life. I will be returning home this weekend to spend some quality time with my family and go skiing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment