Tuesday, February 1, 2011

What an interesting day I've had!

For starters, yesterday my Grandma and Grandpa came to visit me! That was exciting. They brought Jenna and I to some stores and then out for dinner. Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! I got a few Eiffel Tower items at Hobby Lobby while we were out. The Eiffel Tower is probably my favorite architectural structure. And Hobby Lobby is probably my favorite store- crafters paradise. These are the new additions to my room:
Bookends- way cool!
Colorful poster!
Secondly, the Big Blizzard is here...or something like that.

Chicago gears up for storm of 'historic magnitude'


Batten down the hatches, Chicago. A big winter storm is blowing our way.


Chicago Blizzard of 2011


or, my personal favorite- the Facebook event...


SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011
Meteorologists are predicting an ice storm of epic proportions followed by a somewhat-less-epic snowstorm. Schools are being canceled, candles and canned food are flying off Walmart's shelves, and people are pulling out those ugly Christmas sweaters in fear that their Aunt Dorris' awful taste in outerwear may be the only thing that stands between them and death... you know what this means...

SNOWPOCALYPSE 2011 IS UPON US!!! LOAD YOUR GUNS AND STOCK UP ON BAKED BEANS... WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!



So I highly doubt we are going to die, but the weather is pretty nasty. The maintenance guys drive the plows around campus every couple of hours to clear away the snow. And the snow is blowing all over the place because it is terribly windy. 


On the plus side- CLASSES ARE CANCELLED ON WEDNESDAY. No school tomorrow! The night classes were cancelled tonight too. This means that I have all day tomorrow to do my homework and all night to have fun. Right now Jenna and I are watching a movie; I might play Settlers later with some other friends. 


Third, my sculpture class is going pretty well so far. Over the weekend we had to make 15 sculptures out of scraps of wood. The sculptures were supposed to be about the size of a half gallon of orange juice. We cut out pieces of wood and glued them together with hot glue. The figures had to be abstract as well. I have trouble creating abstract art work; this project was kind of difficult. It was hard to come up with 15 different ideas.


Everyone's pieces- 105 mini sculptures
Today in class we had a critique. The seven of us in the class set out our pieces for everyone to see. Then we had to vote on each other's pieces, which one of their 15 we thought was the most interesting. We now have to take our best-voted piece and make it out of cardboard, four times larger. This requires math (great!) because the professor wants our pieces to be almost exactly to scale. The piece my peers voted as my best was this one...




I have to take this piece and make it larger by next Tuesday. I'll keep you updated!

1 comment:

  1. Did you get the wood out of a C R dumpster? LOL G pa

    ReplyDelete