Friday, December 24, 2010

Reason for the Season

~Passage taken from Humility: True Greatness, by C.J. Mahaney

"How will God save? He will save by executing His Son- for the sake of the rich young rulers, for the sake of James and John, for the sake of ten indignant disciples, and for the sake of proud sinners like you and me.  How will God free us from the prison of pride? How can we be liberated from the dominating power of the world's empty definitions of greatness?

For those who feel the effect of their serious condition, who realize their humanly unalterable condition, the good news is that there's One who appears on the scene and says this: 'I've come. I'm leading the way. I'm moving relentlessly to the place where I'll be nailed to a cross and lifted up as the ultimate example of suffering, and there the concentrated fury of the Father's wrath for your sins will be vested upon Me. And I will groan, for I am sinless and I'm unfamiliar with any sin, with even a single sin. Yet on that cross I will experience the sins of many visited upon My body. And I will die.'

This is the death that awaits Him. But joy will follow His suffering: the certain joy of knowing His death has ransomed the many!

That's the effect of the atoning death of the Son of God"

Matthew 20: 28, "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

No comments:

Post a Comment