Friday, March 4, 2011

Everything

I have recently come to the conclusion that ART will be taking over my life- from here on out. Whether I like it or not, I will be totally immersing myself in art projects, my job on campus with the art department, and other art related things, such as art clubs, for my next four years here. 


I have jobs on campus for the art department, working in the gallery and in the photo studio. Usually I work past my regular hours because my boss trusts me so much to give me these big projects. These projects require more than the allotted 1.5 hours I am scheduled to work three days a week, so I end up working late. I don't mind really...I just keep telling myself that it is money in the bank and the other things I had planned can wait. 


For my art history class I have to write an 8 page thesis paper, due at the beginning of April. I am writing my paper on the French Salons. Artists exhibited their work in Salons, starting around 1737. On the plus side, I learned how to use the library's book catalog system. You know, that crazy mess of numbers and letters that they put on the spine of books actually makes sense now. (My friend works at a college library; I can't imagine shelving all those books. Props to her :)


In my sculpting class I have another time consuming project to work on. It is due after spring break, but why would I want to have a huge project hanging over my head all spring break? I'm attempting to finish it before spring break. The professor gave us a 2D cubist painting and he told us that we have to make the painting 3D using cardboard. It is a very detailed project, and the professor basically told me that I picked the hardest painting. Imagine that. I would upload a picture but my computer is on the fritz (yes it is a mac, and macs are supposed to be amazing all the time, I do realize that...I just need to get it looked at or something...I still love it). 


For my digital media class I have to create a pixilated portrait out of bandanas. This project is due right after spring break as well. We got to choose a celebrity picture, then we had to pixilate it using a 5 step value range, convert the picture to black and white, choose a medium that has a good value range, and use that medium to make a larger scale picture. I chose Brad Paisley, a country singer. I might have developed my first celebrity crush because of this project. You will understand later, once I get a picture uploaded. The way we could pixilate this picture was either 30x40 pixels or 40x60 pixels. Naturally, I choose the 40x60 route because I thought the picture looked more detailed and cooler with more pixels. However, I did not think through the fact that a 40x60 picture will require 2,400 tiny bandanna squares, whereas a 30x40 would have only required 1,200 squares. I now have to cut out 2,400 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch squares out of bandannas. Here again I created more work for myself. I am pretty good at doing that.


Art lectures- art students have at least two art lectures they are required to attend each month, sometimes more. These are usually held on week nights, around 6 o'clock. This past month we had an artist's lecture to attend. The artist's work was done being shown in the gallery so he gave a lecture about it at the close of the show. We had to attend another two hour lecture last week on art and theatre safety; the woman who spoke was very very smart and old and everything went right over my head. Next week I have to attend a lecture for the artists whose show will be opening in the gallery.


I am also trying to build up a solid portfolio to benefit my quest for getting internships and a job some day. This means that I am working on some design projects that are not related to my classes. These too require lots of time. I don't mind working on these projects cause I learn a lot about the design programs I am using and the design process with each new project.


Did I mention the Student Design Organization? This meets twice a month and whoever shows up gets assigned projects to work on. Currently this other design kid and I are working on a small magazine for our school. We have to design three or four layouts for the magazine and the cover. The problem is that we don't really know what the woman in charge of the project wants to see happen with this magazine so we have to meet with her first before we can more forward with our ideas. So far this project has been kind of a hassle, but once we get it done it will be a nice piece to add to my portfolio.


I think that basically covers everything. Throughout all of this I keep Proverbs 16:3 mind:
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."


Everything by Lifehouse


Find Me Here
Speak To Me
I want to feel you
I need to hear you
You are the light
That's leading me
To the place
where I find peace, again.

You are the strength, that keeps me walking.
You are the hope, that keeps me trusting.
You are the life, to my soul.
You are my purpose, you're everything.



And how can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

You calm the storms, and you give me rest.
You hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.
You still my heart, and you take my breath away.
Would you take me in? Take me deeper now?

And How can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?
And how can I stand here with you and not be moved by you?
Would you tell me how could it be any better than this?

Cause you're all I want, you're all I need
You're everything, everything
You're all I want, you're all I need
You're everything, everything.
You're all I want, you're all I need.
You're everything, everything
You're all I want, you're all I need.
You're everything, everything
.

No comments:

Post a Comment