Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Art of Cooking- Haitian Food

I had a sleepover with Katie this past weekend. She was planning on making banan peze and invited me to help. Banan peze translated, for those of you who don't speak Creole, means pressed plantains. Plantains look exactly like bananas...only they're not. I tried an uncooked one and it didn't taste at all like a banana. They don't have much taste actually- same texture though. 

Banan peze is one of my favourite Haitian foods. I think they taste best when they are fried to a crisp (crunchy). Then you add a little salt to them and eat up!

Katie had everything ready: vinegar, salt, plantains, vegetable oil, and tostonera (a plantain smasher!). 

1} Make a slice in the skin of the plantain.

2} Get the plantain out of the peel- not so easy! 
3} Katie mixed up the vinegar, salt, and water mixture while I sliced the plantains crosswise into half inch thick slices. 

 4} Fry the slices, two minutes on each side. Katie was in charge of the frying...the first time I went near the pan I got sprayed by the oil! Ouch! I stayed away after that.

5} Take the slices out of the pan and drain the oil off from them. Then use the nifty tool to press each slice till it is about a quarter inch thick.

6} Soak the slices in the vinegar salt mixture and then place them back in the frying pan. Fry them for 1 minute on each side until they are crispy and golden brown.

...ours turned out golden brown alright but not exactly crispy. They were very greasy and soggy! Let's just say they looked a whole lot better than they tasted :) It was our first attempt...we are hoping for better results next time. 

We then prepared lots of other good food to eat, along with our banan peze.

Kati Marie & Katie Marie
Yup, we have the same first name....then we figured out we have the same middle name. Even crazier, I just noticed that we both have a scar in about the exact same place on our forehead. I asked Katie what her scar was from and she said she got it when she had chicken pox as a kid. That's where MY scar came from too!

No comments:

Post a Comment