Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Good things come in small packages....

and BIG boxes! 

We get very excited when people come to visit because we often ask them to bring things down for us. Then it's like Christmas when they arrive with those things we have been longing for!! When my family came they brought down a whole suitcase and a half full of stuff. In my defense, this stuff was not all for me. Some of it was for Jenny and for other friends. Some of the things they brought were purely necessity, but they came with many other treats. My favorite thing that they brought was a giant box of Reese's Puffs from my Grandma! I hadn't had that cereal in 4 months...it is sooo good! Love you Grandma!! (I did only eat a couple bowls but there is a reason behind that...keep reading) I was also very thankful for the art supplies that my mom gathered for me. I was running low on ideas and with the new supplies I was able to come up with a few more projects. 

I was overwhelmed by goods after being by spoiled by my parents and friends. I was thinking...I'm set for awhile now! However, then Howard received word that the crate carrying the rest of my art supplies was finally available. There is quite the story behind this crate. 

I bought all my art supplies in the States before I came. I packed the majority of the supplies in my 2 very large suitcases, and my carry-on, with all my other personal belongings. Because I had to stay with-in the weight restrictions, not everything fit. Imagine that! What were we to do with the rest of the supplies? We considered a few different options...eventually settling on sending the supplies via an organization based out of Grand Rapids. This was also the cheapest option. We had been warned that it could take months for this crate to arrive because it usually takes a long time to clear customs. With that in mind, my parents packed the supplies that I would need later in the semester. I left November 9 and arrived in Haiti with everything in check. My parents brought the boxes to this organization at the end of November. I was then told that the crate shipped right after that.

I trusted that it would arrive. My mom kept asking about it... I forgot about it. I had plenty of supplies and things were going great. In the past few weeks though I had been wanting to doing projects that I didn't yet have the supplies for. So, I came up with other ideas. When my parents were here they asked if I had heard anything about the crate. They were wondering why they just didn't hang onto the supplies and bring them with them. But it was too late for that. Then the day after my mom left Howard said to me, "I got a call. The crate is here!" I was silently rejoicing inside! I knew it would come. Howard went that morning and picked up my boxes for me. It only took 3 and a half months!! I'm not complaining :) 

I found this little bag of Reese's minis in the crate, along with everything else. I picked up the bag and  laughed! For one, they have been sitting for 3.5 months... I am wondering if they are still good. I've been told that processed food will stay good for a long time- they may be edible. I'll have to check the expiration date. For two, about a month ago my friend got me a giant party bag of Reese's when she went to the States. This bag was so HUGE! I had never seen so many Reese's in my life :0 I ate a lot of them and then started sharing them with the Van Dams and my friends. I brought them with me whenever I was hanging out with people. I didn't think I would ever see the end of those. Just ask my friends! I went everywhere with those Reese's. So, this weekend in the D.R. I finally got rid of the last of them. (Oh, and my mom brought me another little bag of Reese's mini's too when she came. Those I took to the D.R. as well to get rid of.)

I was happy when I arrived home because I was finally free from all the candy. It was my favorite candy. Not so sure anymore. Then I found this little guy! Maybe if I give it a few months I'll be up for eating them again :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment