Thursday, March 22, 2012

MAF Retreat ~Part 1

This past weekend, Thursday through Sunday, I was in the Dominican for the Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) staff retreat. I was invited to go along as a babysitter. One of the ladies had heard about me and asked if I was available to come watch the kids. I wasn't sure I should go (and take off from my classes again), but after talking it over with some friends they couldn't believe I was thinking of even passing up this offer. Therefore, I took them up on it. And that's how I ended up staying at an all-inclusive resort for the second time in my short life! 


Five MAF families went; there were 11 adults, 8 children, and 2 babysitters. Early Thursday morning we left from the Port-au-Prince airport. We took the MAF airplanes (more about this in Part 2). We arrived in Puerto Plato around ten o'clock. From there we took a very nice bus, complete with air conditioning, to our resort. 


We stayed at a beautiful Iberostar resort. There were flamingos and turtles hanging out in the lobby. 

While we waited to check in we were served cold, refreshing slushies. This trip was already good! Then it only got better-  We went to this restaurant for lunch where they have a buffet everyday. There were tons of options for food. Our favorite was the soft serve ice cream machine. Ice cream is a treat in Haiti and so we were loving having it available all afternoon for free! You don't want to know how many cones some of the kids had :)


Allie (the other babysitter) and I shared a room. We got the keys and opened the door to find a spacious, colorful space complete with three beds. We weren't sure why we had three beds but whatever!

I opened the big cabinet door and found a TV, immediately turning it on. We were both amazed to see American programs in English on the TV. I was awe-struck as soon as the commercials came on. I believe my response was, "AHHHH! I haven't seen a commercial in 4 months!!" We were delighted! One night we stayed up late watching Friends.

We spent a lot of time relaxing by the pool and the ocean when we weren't watching TV.


And the babysitting part... Allie babysat the three younger kids and I watched the five older kids. We had to watch the kids for a few hours on Friday and Saturday morning while the parents attended Bible study sessions. The older kids didn't really need watching. I mostly just had to keep track of them and supervise them if they went swimming. The first morning we swam in the cold pool and then watched Scooby-Doo. The second morning we went swimming in the ocean.

At night we played games, watched TV, and/or attended the shows that the resort staff put on. 
Allie, me, and Nathan all dressed up for dinner one night.

1 comment:

  1. This is fun to read! When I stayed with Jenny LeMahieu for 2 weeks in 2009, I spent several evenings at Karen and Michael Broyles' house. Kandace is such a fun kid :) Glad you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete