Thursday, March 22, 2012

MAF Retreat ~Part 2

Saturday afternoon we paid a mere $10 a person for an awesome excursion at the waterfalls! This place was a short distance away from our resort. 

Upon arrival we were fitted into life jackets and helmets. Then when everyone was ready, we followed our guides, hiking until we came to the first fall. They led us along these rocks and stopped us there. The older guide said, "This is where the adventure starts..." The younger guide was laughing. We had no idea what he was talking about but we soon found out! We walked a few steps further to the edge of a slight 'cliff' and then he pointed down and said, "Ok...JUMP!" At that moment Allie and I were freaking out. We looked at each other, thinking is this really happening!? It really wasn't that high of a drop off but it was enough to scare us. So, Kyle (bless his heart) braved it out and went first. And after I jumped I was fine. 




We followed the river down- walking, swimming, and sliding down a few of the falls. They were natural water slides! There was one other opportunity to jump. This is a video of a few people from the group jumping:


I wasn't gutsy enough to jump so I slid down the little fall instead. Whenever we came upon a fall that we could slide down the older guide basically picked us up and dumped us over the edge:


I usually got pulled way down by the current, sometimes touching the bottom of the riverbed. Then I would shoot back up out of the water. It was a good thing we had helmets on cause as soon as I reached the surface I hit the rock wall with my head a few times.

Things were going wonderfully until the younger tour guide started hitting on Allie and I. He kept asking Allie, in Spanish and in English, what her name was. Over and over again she told him her name. Over and over again he pronounced it wrong and so she continued to repeat it. Eventually she realized that he was just messing with her. He settled on Ass-LY for her name. We got a good laugh each time he yelled it out. Next, he asked me what my name was. I repeatedly told him I didn't have a name. Allie finally told him that my name was Bob. He looked at me in disbelief and then left me alone. Success! I am sick of getting hit on by Haitian guys and so the last thing I wanted, on my vacation, was to be hit on. On the plus side, he was a good photographer. He took all the photos that you see in the slideshow.
Bob and Ass-LY
The trip went by so fast but it was worth every dollar and scare! At the end we were all pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment