Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Favorite Pastime

In the States I really enjoy shopping at Target, Meijers, Michaels, and thrift stores. I spend way to much money on things I don't need. I especially love buying clothes!

My initial thoughts upon coming to Haiti were, "Oh, I won't be tempted to spend money here because you can't shop like you do in America." However, I have been out shopping a good number of times. I've been to grocery stores, clothing stores, a shoe store, a purse boutique, an athletic store, a few home decorating stores, and places that sell hand-made Haitian crafts. There are many places in Haiti where I'm tempted to spend lots of money.

Last Saturday morning I went shopping with Taressa, Natasha and Ruth. We had a few things that we needed to get. Amazingly enough we got it all at one store! Acra was the place to be.

They have a huge selection of fabric which is the main reason we went there. Taressa also needed a shirt for her class picture so, after picking out fabric, we meandered upstairs where they had a nice big room full of women's clothing. We were shocked to find that the prices for the clothing was about the same as the prices in America. Taressa found a shirt that was only $10 and I noticed the colorful apple bottom jeans were only $20.

A big selection!
1440 gouds = 36 US dollars for this pair of jeans


Kayak anyone?
We got a good look at the giant Best Western hotel that is going up across the street from Acra- seven stories, 105 rooms, a spa, a full service restaurant, and a reception hall with room for 140 persons. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment