Tuesday, April 3, 2012

God is Working! Hallelujah!

'Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."' Matthew 28: 18-20
There are many different areas that you can see the LORD working in the small country of Haiti. God has called a lot of different people to Haiti to work for Him. God's name and God's Word is going out. There was a group of people discussing God's Word the other day and one of the 'blancs' mentioned that the Haitians must be getting sick and tired of all the whites that are in the country. The person replied by saying that the NGO's can leave but the missionaries need to stay. The work that has been done in education, in the churches and the lives of every day people needs to continue, needs to carry on. The missionaries and all those that work to further the gospel need to carry on. If Haiti is going to be a better country, people need to work on the broken relationships between God, self, others, and creation. And this is what the missionaries are trying to do in Haiti. 
So for this blog update a friend of mine, Cornelius, and I would like to present to you friends of ours that are making changes in Haiti with the LORD's help. Part of these profiles will be on my blog and there will be a link to Cornelius' blog where you can read the rest of the profiles. We encourage you to check out their blogs or websites. We also encourage you to pray for the prayer requests that they have.

Click here to read the rest of the profiles.

Katie Benner, Keziah Furth, Marc Williams, me, Kathleen (a fellow youth group leader) 

Keziah Furth- I came to Haiti because I'd always wanted to do medical care in a place like this. I visited for 4 days in 2006, loved it and came back for a 5 month internship during college in 2007. I had to return to the States to finish school, but I moved here right after graduating in 2008. I work with Much Ministries in Gonaives. My job is to oversee a clinic that includes prenatal program, blood pressure program, home health for the elderly and handicapped, malnutrition program and general clinic days. I also coordinate with the local government hospital of Gonaives to improve their quality of care and get them the supplies they need to better function.  I've been in Haiti for 4 years, since 2008.

Prayer Requests: I would love prayer for deeper relationships with the young mothers of Jubilee, the dump that we work in, and also prayers for opportunities to provide more medical jobs for the young people who have trained as nursing assistants.



Marc Williams- My parents are missionaries with Mission Aviation Fellowship. We moved to Haiti when I was five years old. After graduating high school here in Haiti, I went to school in the states. I lived in numerous places during and after college, but found that I really loved the community here and how the Kingdom of God is moving. So I came back. I teach some high school elective classes at Quisqueya Christian School. I also help lead the youth group at Quisqueya Chapel. Basically, having grown up here, I've become a sort of "big brother" within the community. Younger people here relate to me and they often come to me with spiritual questions and insights. I love it! My family moved here in 1990. However, with furloughs and college back in the states, I've probably lived in Haiti about 14 years.

Prayer Requests: Pray that the love of God overwhelms me in fresh ways every day.


Katie Benner- The first time I came to Haiti was in 2008 as a sophomore in college. At the time, I knew absolutely NOTHING about Haiti but I signed up to go for a week long mission trip with a group from my church. When we left for Haiti I had no expectation of falling in love with the country and people, but that is exactly what happened. The entire week that I spent in Haiti I just kept thinking, "This is so strange...I feel like this is home." After that trip I thought about and prayed for Haiti almost every day for two years. A few months before my college graduation I knew that God was calling me to Haiti long term. So, I contacted someone in country, bought my flight tickets, and the rest is history.
When I first came to Haiti, I spend 6 months living and working at Faith Hope Love Infant Rescue doing just about anything that was needed (mostly playing with kids). Then, I was asked to teach at TLC Barefoot School. I currently teach kindergarten and work as assistant director at TLC. I also teach an adult English class, help lead a Bible study, and help with the church youth group. I've been in Haiti on and off since September 2010. In total time, I guess it adds up to a little over a year.
Prayer Requests: I'm always in need of more patience since I work with kids all day, everyday. I pray for a deeper communion with the Holy Spirit so that at any given time and in any given situation, I will know the Father's heart and desire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment