Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Teachable?

Thirty kids doing art together, in the same room... On any given day that's usually far too many kids for me to handle. Not today though. Because the kids are much more well-behaved I didn't freak out when the majority of them, ages 4-16 years old, joined in on the fun. I set up paint and sponges on one set of tables, and on the other side of the room I placed crayons, colored pencils and coloring books. I divided a few of the kids up, so some were coloring while others got creative with the paint. Thankfully many of them ended up at the tables coloring pictures and there weren't too many making a mess with the paints. Amazingly enough, I only ended up with three small spots of paint on my clothes. The tables on the other hand didn't fair so well and I spent a decent amount of time cleaning those at the end of class.

For a good hour and a half I scrambled to keep everyone pleased while they worked. I had kids constantly grabbing at my arm and motioning to the empty cardboard sheets. So, I refilled the paints again and again. There were others creating disaster scenes, mixing all the colors and/or covering their hands with paint. Without being to obvious, I attempted to shift those children back to the coloring table. Most kids moved right along from one picture to the other. All I heard was, "Miss Kati! Paper! Miss Kati!" "Cam-dy! More paper!" "Kaaati! Paper please!" "Candie! I need paper." (Those are all the names I answer to. I got a little sick of correcting them.) I handed out paper left and right. After months of class I'm finally on top of the paper situation and have tons of it available. Today, I didn't even come close to running out!

Eventually the area cleared out; many of the kids had enough for the day. A little kindergartener, whom I don't normally teach, latched onto my legs as I walked past him. I stopped and peered down at him. He looked up at me, speaking Creole in a barely audible voice. I didn't understand, so I picked him up and sat him down on my lap. This time he said, "Paper. I want paper." I got up, fetched a clean sheet for him, and sat back down next to him. He drew something that I couldn't depict. Then he drew a W. I decided to find out if he knew his alphabet. I began to say each letter aloud and wrote them with him. I got to G; he knew all the rest of the letters from that point on. When we finished the alphabet he handed me the crayon, repeating, "Flower. Flower." I absentmindedly drew him a flower then stepped away to help a few other kids. I came back, and to my surprise, he had drawn multiple copies of the flower! They were very good!

Next, I drew a house for him instead of another flower like he asked. I turned to assist someone else for a few minutes and then redirected my gaze back towards him. He had in fact started a copy of the house too! I was fascinated by this little four year old.

Hardly any of my other kids will copy objects that I draw them. They like to have me draw apples, flowers, crosses, stars, and hearts on their papers. As soon as I draw one of those things for one girl, at least six of her friends will come up to me asking me to draw that object on their paper as well. Sometimes I draw an apple multiple times for the same person. Eventually I get fed up with that and refuse to draw any more objects for them. I am constantly suggesting they study my object and draw one like it for themselves. This does not appease them because if their object does not turn out exactly like mine they are dejected.

I have found a four year old child that is teachable. A four year old! He understands the concept of copying an example. He sat quietly, observing, memorizing the way I was drawing the flower so that he could make one himself! He is aware that in order to become better at drawing a flower he needs to work at it. He will never be able to draw a flower that is as "good" as mine unless he practices. I am amazed! I just wish more of the kids would grasp this concept- it would save me from drawing an awful lot of apples!

I thought of this child and his willingness to learn and then wondered about myself. Am I teachable? Am I open to learning new ideas, concepts, and truths? Do I have the patience to sit and observe? Do I take the time to listen when someone gives an explanation or tells one of their life experiences?

More importantly, when it comes to my walk with God, am I teachable? Am I open to learning new truths, ridding my heart of sin, and understanding God's character more? Do I have the patience to sit before the throne of my Father? Do I take time each day to pour over His Word and listen to His voice? Or is He frustrated with me because I'm halfheartedly seeking Him? Is He willing me to pay attention to His Word and hear His voice instead of going about my own business?

Psalm 25: 4-5
Show me your ways, Lord,
teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.




No comments:

Post a Comment