Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Watch for God

Ever since Vacation Bible School (VBS) at our church two years ago, I have been watching for God. This was one of the main themes of the VBS and we encouraged the kids to actively look for God throughout their day. I had always had my devotion time and church time where I could see God. But I didn't think much about God during the rest of my day. Now, however, I don't go a day without noticing God.

I arrived in Haiti with my eyes open, watching for God. One of the schools that I teach at had been a challenge. These are a few notes from my journal over the past few months:

January 17: I went to the school for the first time- 44 kids, 2 teachers. It was crazy and hectic there. The kids just ran around, playing, fighting. It was hard to get them to pay attention and gathered into one place.

Jan 20: In the afternoon I had Bible study with Andrea. I told her about my week, shared my frustrations with her. She said that my position, at the school, is good and I know I'm exactly where God wants me.  Though I feel so frustrated and there is no way I can control the kids, let alone teach them anything or make an impact on them, I can be an INTERCESSOR- pray for them. I can bring the presence of You to that place by praying over them and lifting them up before you. Though that doesn't feel like much, Andrea said it is everything. This is going to be exciting. Strengthen me each week God, again and again, so that I can be there for these children. You give more grace and provide everything your children need. You promise to meet all my needs.

After my talk with Andrea, the situation seemed so bleak. I considered only teaching these kids for a few months. I didn't see how I could go into that school twice a week and still maintain my sanity! It was exhausting spending time with them.

Looking back through my journal, I found these entries from my devotion time amid my other writings:

January 23:
       ~Everywhere I go Christ goes because I bring Christ with me.
       ~Light has power over darkness.
       ~Do not be pre-supposed by things getting darker. Things are evolving from glory unto glory.
       ~Live like Jesus is coming back tomorrow and have a vision like he won't be back for a thousand years.

February 1:
       ~Missions is less about what I do and more about who I am. A life overflowing Jesus wherever I am.
       ~We need followers of Jesus that are not given to services and programs, but to REAL PEOPLE. Invest in people.

Feb 7:
       ~People matter. What if today was my last day? What matters?
       ~When I come to heaven and face Jesus do I want to stand there with all my stuff or with people, crowds of people?
       And say to Jesus, they love you! They are passionate about you!

Feb 8: Got hugs from the kids today when I entered the orphanage. :) Made me feel loved.

Feb 11: The kids at the orphange lack the joy of Christ and I don't know what to do about that. It breaks my heart to see them without the love of God in their hearts. They need Jesus!

Feb 15: They need JESUS! They need good role models. It's terrible; they are out of control and not at all nice to each other.

Feb 19:
       ~Do I know who I am? Wherever I go I bring God.

March 24:
       ~ The way I will see any fulfillment in that which God wants me to accomplish is by focusing on  Jesus Christ and
       worshipping Him only. In Him when my strength is depleted and I am made weak He is made perfect.

At the time, I didn't even realize how much these insights related to my situation. Right there was more than enough reason to continue spending time with these kids. I am called to let the light of Christ shine through me! By being compassionate and loving towards them, which is what I've been trying so hard to do, I show them Christ. The kids have been so much better lately. The sit right down at the tables when I arrive and eagerly wait for me to start. And they don't fight as much!

May 5: At the school the children worked diligently and didn't need much help. Halfway through my class time the kindergarten teacher turned on VBS music and blasted it rather loudly. The kids faces lit up. One little boy ran upstairs as soon as he heard, "If you're happy and you know it." His face was beaming! Many of the kids were excited and sang along with the music. The songs were so upbeat, bringing a whole different mood to the place. The kids continued dancing and singing. I could hear a chorus of voices coming from upstairs as they shouted out the words to the songs. Pure joy was in their hearts! And God.
What surprised me most was that just five months ago I saw an absence of joy and hope in these kids faces. I desperately prayed to God that they would have Jesus, that they would know Jesus. I remember thinking that it would be really cool if these kids could have songs and upbeat Christian music to listen to, maybe someone to worship with them. That was not the position God called me to. Enter- the new kindergarten teacher- he begins teaching and brings the light of Jesus to these kids! Hallelujah! God heard my prayer.

I saw God today!

That happened on a Tuesday. Thursday of that same week I spent time with the older kids. I brought new materials for them and they produced beautiful pieces! I was enthralled by the way they worked.






After my curiosity finally got the best of me I asked what was depicted in this picture. I was a bit surprised by the response, "Satan and God." Wow! 

This boy has talent! As do all the kids- another reason for me to keep coming back each week. I'm so proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment