Sunday, May 6, 2012

You Just Never Know

On any given day I expect my art projects not to go at all like I planned. Take for instance last Wednesday... I had art with my 1st grade class.

I have a big box of yarn that I hope to use up, so I found a project online that uses yarn to form a picture. The kids eventually caught on to the technique with a little help and a whole lot of prodding. These two pieces are original works of art:



These two kids copied my example, trying in earnest to make their picture look exactly like mine: 



While I was busy helping a few kids, one student came up to me and asked, in Creole, for another piece of paper. I walked over to the spot where I had placed the stack of paper and found that it was gone. Or so I thought. Then I walked to the back of the classroom...


This boy was the culprit; he had taken the whole stack of paper. And he set to work making purses for his classmates! {Side note: One doesn't have to be in Haiti long to realize that Haitians are very crafty and resourceful. This is reflected daily in my students. Outside of class they do not have access to art supplies, therefore, during class they take full advantage of the paper, string, scissors, glue, ect. Paper especially- I never bring enough paper for them. The kids do many things with it and they always plead for some to take home with them.}


He made 4 or 5 purses. He utilized the card-stock paper, folding it in half and gluing it together; he added a flap so the purse closed, then used multiple strands of yarn for a strap. The kids that received the purses were proud of them and wanted their picture taken. I was laughing inside as the student that made the purses posed the other kids, telling them how to stand and then turning the purses so they faced the right way for the photo.


"It has been said that art is a tryst, for in the joy of it maker and beholder meet." ~Kojiro Tomita

No comments:

Post a Comment