Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My World!

Pictures that I made to help me study.
Welcome to my world...the art world!  Currently this semester I am in two art classes- an art history class and another class about the basic principles that form art.  Lately I have had some very interesting homework assignments in these classes.  Starting off with my 2D Design class, I had to read a chapter in my text book about color.  I thought this would be very simple.....nope!  The chapter was 38 pages long!  Who knew there was so much to learn about color; I sure didn't.  Here is a passage from my book: "When a color is mixed with its compliment, it becomes neutralized (greyed), and a tertiary color is produced.  Tertiary colors are also created by mixing any two secondary colors or by combining non-analogous intermediate colors.  In practical terms, this involves intermixing of all three primaries in varying proportions and creates the browns, olives, maroons, and so on found in the inner rings of the color wheel..."  I'm a little bit confused by color!


In my art history class just started learning about how art is dialogue.  The artists are speaking back and forth to each other when they create their artwork.  For our next assignment, our professor told us to download the "Fluxus Performance Workbook" and pick a task to perform.  The file is in a pdf formant, 117 pages long, filled with odd tasks for one to perform.  For instance:


~Paint an orange white and place it together with other oranges in a white bowl.
~Play baseball with a fruit.
~Wrap a modest object.
~Telephone someone- announce the time.
~Chew a nice piece of drawing or notebook paper.
~Arrange nine crackers on a table.  Ask someone to choose the most beautiful cracker. Smash the remaining crackers with your fist.
~Send invitations to all your friends- except one- with the following: green party, green clothes; and to one person: red party, red clothes.
~Blank sheets are handed out to the audience without any explanations.  Wait five minutes and then the performance is over.
~An announcer hidden from view of the audience observes all who enter the theater with binoculars and describes each in detail over a public address system.
~In entertaining your guests, bring out your laundry and explain to them how, when, and why each became dirty.
~Say hello to every pretty girl you meet.  If she replies with a smile, you get a point.  The one with the most points wins.
~On a busy city avenue, draw a circle about 3m in diameter with chalk on the the sidewalk.  Walk around the circle as long as possible with out stopping.


Sounds pretty weird to us....we are not sure what the point of this exercise is?  Guess we'll find out in class tomorrow!  I am going to bring some of my laundry in and explain how, when, and where it got dirty :)


Tonight at midnight the freshman can register for their classes.  I will be staying up late, much to my dismay.  I also just acquired a cold and so I am getting lots of sleep and drinking lots of orange juice to make it hopefully go away soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment