Monday, November 1, 2010

Sunday Best

The best advice I ever heard was: "You cannot catch up on sleep."  Life goes on and the days pass by- time moves on.  If you don't get eight full hours of sleep each night and then you decide to add it on to the next night it probably won't happen.  And so you resume your sleeping schedule, getting by with just enough sleep to function.  All that lost sleep cannot be replaced.  I'm not sure if I explained this right, but once I wrapped my mind around the idea it kind of makes sense.


I was thinking the other day about how I cannot catch up on my sleep- the thought really bothered me.  I decided to get lots of sleep Saturday night.  I went to bed at 11pm (which is very early for a college student ;-) and slept in till 9am Sunday morning.  I felt so refreshed when I woke up!  The second reason that I decided to get lots of sleep on Saturday night was because the following day was Sunday, church day.  I have also been very bothered by the fact I cannot stay awake in church.  It doesn't make sense to me why I can stay awake and pay attention to my professors in class but on Sunday mornings I am so sleepy I can't focus on the pastor's sermon.  If anyone deserves our undivided attention it's God.  What's more important, classes or God?  God should be #1 in our life.  God calls us to worship him with the community of believers on Sunday mornings.  Psalm 95:6, "Come, let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker." From now on I'm going to try to sleep more on Saturday nights so that I can be awake and alert in church.


Read this description from Isaiah 40 of the awesome God we were made to worship:
12 Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
       or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
       Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
       or weighed the mountains on the scales
       and the hills in a balance?

 13 Who has understood the mind of the LORD,
       or instructed him as his counselor?

 14 Whom did the LORD consult to enlighten him,
       and who taught him the right way?
       Who was it that taught him knowledge
       or showed him the path of understanding?

 15 Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket;
       they are regarded as dust on the scales;
       he weighs the islands as though they were fine dust.

 16 Lebanon is not sufficient for altar fires,
       nor its animals enough for burnt offerings.

 17 Before him all the nations are as nothing;
       they are regarded by him as worthless
       and less than nothing.


25 "To whom will you compare me?
       Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.

 26 Lift your eyes and look to the heavens:
       Who created all these?
       He who brings out the starry host one by one,
       and calls them each by name.
       Because of his great power and mighty strength,
       not one of them is missing.

 27 Why do you say, O Jacob,
       and complain, O Israel,
       "My way is hidden from the LORD;
       my cause is disregarded by my God"?

 28 Do you not know?
       Have you not heard?
       The LORD is the everlasting God,
       the Creator of the ends of the earth.
       He will not grow tired or weary,
       and his understanding no one can fathom.

 29 He gives strength to the weary
       and increases the power of the weak.

 30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
       and young men stumble and fall;

 31 but those who hope in the LORD
       will renew their strength.
       They will soar on wings like eagles;
       they will run and not grow weary,
       they will walk and not be faint.

No comments:

Post a Comment