Sunday, January 9, 2011

Life is Staggering

I arrived back from WI late Friday night. The trip home from Chicago took three and a half hours! There was lots of traffic and snow. I don't feel like posting pictures right now, but I will later. 


I had no plans this (Saturday) afternoon- it was a very weird feeling. So, I sat down by the fire and read a book. The book is called, "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years," by Donald Miller. I read his other book, "Blue Like Jazz," and that one was amazing. Here is a passage from the book:


"Back then I'd be lying in bed or walking down a hallway at college, and the realization I was alive would startle me, as though it had come up from behind and slammed two books together. We get robbed of the glory of life because we aren't capable of remembering how we got here. When you are born, you wake slowly to everything. Your brain doesn't stop growing until you turn twenty-six, so from birth to twenty-six, God is slowly turning the lights on, and you're groggy and pointing to things and saying circle and blue  and car and then sex and job and health care. The experience is so slow you could easily come to believe that life isn't that big of a deal, that life isn't staggering. What I'm saying is I think life is staggering and we're just used to it. We all are like spoiled children no longer impressed with the gifts we're given-- it's just another sunset, just another rainstorm moving in over the mountain, just another child being born, just another funeral."

No comments:

Post a Comment