Thursday, September 23, 2010

I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it.

I am now on the service committee here at school.  It consists of (from what I've figured out) attending a meeting once every other week and brainstorming service opportunities for the students to do.  And also, serving in various ways through out campus and the community.  The last meeting was a discussion about ways to get involved in new and existing ministry opportunities.  I sat through the whole entire meeting and didn't volunteer to do/help with anything.  I didn't feel excited about any of the things because they would have made me feel uncomfortable- placed me outside of my comfort zone.  This whole not volunteering for anything didn't bother me until the next morning, when I was doing my devotions.  I am reading the book "Blue Like Jazz" and on this morning I was reading about Belief.  A few of the phrases went like this: 


"But the trouble with deep belief is that it costs something.  And there is something inside me, some selfish beast of a subtle thing that doesn't like the truth at all because it carries responsibility, and if I actually believe these things I have to do something about them.  It is so, so cumbersome to believe anything... Andrew is the one who taught me that what I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do... Andrew would say that dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory.  Living for something, Andrew would say, is the hard thing.  Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition.  We live for what we believe, Andrew would say."  ~Donald Miller


Talk about a wake up call!  God said never said that serving Him would be easy, he just said that it would be worth it.  God calls us to move beyond our comfort zone and adapt to the situation.


1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (The Message)  "Even though I am free of the demands and expectations of everyone, I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn't take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I've become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life. I did all this because of the Message. I didn't just want to talk about it; I wanted to be in on it."

No comments:

Post a Comment